Saturday 22 August 2009

FINDING MY FEET

For two years I did not drive.
Why did I find such satisfaction in using my feet to motorise my day?

There were physical benefits to be sure. But it was more than this. I gloried in the knowledge that I had used my body productively and had been free from mechcanical transport. It made me value my legs in a way I had never done before. I took great care of them, fearing I would loose my newfound freedom.

Is this not what we want for our people? To appreciate and take care of their bodies? They will only do so when they value them. They will only value them when they use them productively. We no longer make or do worthwhile things with our bodies. We buy porridge at the station to eat on the train which takes us to work where we sit behind a computer and get Repetative Strain Injury from excessive use of our hands.

No wonder we tell the doctor we are sick. Yes, but we are sick of life. Smoking, eating and drinking degrade and destroy our bodies as we gaze impotently at the TV or computer screen.

What to do?
Rethink our daily activities and try to use our bodies as much as possible in different ways, to add value to our lives. And so they will aquire a value which we will treasure.

No comments: