Tuesday 5 January 2010

THE BEAUTY OF OBEDIENCE

As I watch my puppy grow and learn obedience, I enjoy her more and more. All the good things become even more delightful. This caused me to think that it must be so with God as His children joyfully learn to do His will. God is not an austere master who must be pleased but a loving Father who delights in His sons and daughters as they seek to know His will and carry it out.

As she grows in obedience I give her more freedom as I know I can trust her to respond when danger threatens. Surely this is so with us. Just as with Eve, Satan would depict God as other than He is, the spoiler of our enjoyment. When Adam and Eve took to themselves the role of judge between good and evil, they were taking on God's role, something too heavy to bear and which ruined their lives. Allowing God to be the judge is the first submission man must show. Obedience to Him, his first service, out of love and not compulsion.

'And do not be conformed to this world (with its false judgements), but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God'
Romans 12

No comments: